Saturday 7 January 2017

Old and New and Reused.

Ogata san showed up at the front door on January 2nd with a new hand-made red hat and bib for the little stone Jizo sculpture in the forlorn winter garden in front of the front door.

One year and the 2016 bib and hat were mossy and faded.







Barbara san.....I finished weaving up the double sided indigo wool runner for the inside step up into the house. It works well with the Picasso harlequin rug on the landing. Thank you! (Should have vacuumed before I took the picture but the morning light was brief and good with all the bamboo cut off the mountain!)



I have a few meters left of warp and am now unravelling one of Hiro's old moth-eaten sweaters to use for weft yarn for the next runner down by the open bathroom. Recycling... 


9 comments:

  1. Ogata-san never fails to amaze. The rug/runner looks great. Did Hiro get a new sweater as a replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah...he is in Brazil until April so he can do without.

      I need to wash it in hot water and slightly felt it to finish it up. It's snowing outside so I can't get near the burners. It can wait a few months.

      Delete
  2. That looks like very good yarn in Hiro's sweater. So satisfying to recycle much-loved quality materials. Great shade of grey, too. The runner looks perfect, ahh, snowing. I'll bet it's lovely. Ogata-san must create all the time, like you do.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Bryan .. My name is Pimpi from Indonesia. I love your works , and I am learning Katazome now and I want to know more about indigo process. I am going to visit Japan tomorrow , I was wondering if I can visit your lovely studio, if you don't mind and if you have time of course. Waiting for your reply . Thank you

    Pimpi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pimpi san, It is snowy and miserable out here today. I am going on vacation soon so the timing looks bad! I am sorry. my email address is: japanesetextileworkshops@gmail.com. I have a Facebook with the same name.

      Delete
  4. tell ogata san that there is a papermaker near canada who loves her. and that her friend, a mere 87 years old, also makes beautiful textiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll see her next Tuesday and will tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sunlight radiating on the indigo runner looks amazing. look forward to visiting again and seeing for myself. Am so glad your vacation is still going ahead- a well deserved break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working my way backwards on your website. That runner is beautiful-double weave?

    ReplyDelete