Tuesday 7 June 2011

Ogata san Makes a Healthy Comeback



Ogata kane san has been taking my indigo and weaving class for five years now. She started when she was a young 88 years old. Now she is 93. She fell down the stairs at her house last winter and hasn't been to class in five months. She came back today.

She has a flower and vegetable garden at her house and still climbs up the mountain by herself to dig bamboo sprouts. She grows just about everything in the Japanese diet. She cooks for us all each Tuesday in my kitchen using vegetables and fruits she grows herself. She still hand-tills the land herself! Our lunch table is often adorned with some flowers from her garden. An inspiration to us all.

Today she started back threading the tabletop loom I found on Yahoo auction for her right where she left off last fall. And she found her internal-male-teenager with this space oddessy mind trippy indigo tablecloth she indigo dyed.

Eri watched as I showed Ogata san the technique and tried it out on a piece of natural brown cotton. It is more rustic and somehow astrological. She immediately started a new one to improve on the first one. Good spirit.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this inspiring post. The grace and style of Ogata kane san is admirable. We have just spent time in Seattle with the last remaining "elder" in my own family, a vital and active 87 year old. There is so much to learn from these creative souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is an inspiration - how to grow old-er living in the moment. wonderful pattern on the indigo shibori

    ReplyDelete
  3. your dear friend reminds me of my young (85) friend. mine loves to cook for me and knit me wild socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. learning something new at age 88 ..... living the life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. an inspirational soul indeed.
    the second indigo piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have given her strength and inspiration like you did to me today! It was great to see her work in person - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah for the universe's Ogata sans! I have one in my life, too--one of my role models. Glad to hear she is well. And that cloth . . . wow. Just . . .wow.

    ReplyDelete